Monday 15 November 2010

Pursuit of Passion: Diversity in Advertising



I have recently found a great video about diversity in advertising. The diversity here stretches beyond ethnicities, it is also about thinking and ideas. The video shows how American ad agencies foster a culture of creativity by attracting people from the widest variety of backgrounds, and letting them flourish in their own right. Advertising is an industry that knows no race, religion, sexual orientation, or political views. Every difference in opinion is used to their advantage!

Is it actually? I have also had a realisation when it comes to advertising agencies in the UK. As much as they embrace innovation digitally, I simply feel like they are conservative in their culture. From what I have gathered through my research, a vast majority of management teams and graduate trainees are purely British. It does not take a genius to realise that the environment in London has changed substantially over the past years, and I believe that the agencies have been slow in adapting to those changes. There are almost more immigrants here than British nationals, and I cannot see how this could not be reflected in the workforce of an industry that tries to market to those very people.


Pursuit of Passion: Diversity in Advertising from Jacob Abernathy on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment