Wednesday 20 October 2010

The Social Network and what it meant to me



So, I finally managed to go see "The Social Network". I thought the movie was great, but I'm sure Mark Zuckerberg would disagree. The Facebook CEO was portrayed as an annoying, arrogant, quirky, selfish geek with almost no moral integrity. Seems to me like his hunger for money and power took the best of him, as cliche as that sounds. Now, I say this having done a little background check on the guy, and on how poorly he treated his former friends and co-founders of Facebook, Eduardo Saverin and Dustin Moskovitz. After all, the movie was based on a book, which in itself was loosely based on facts and included a lot of speculation and invented dialogue, as its author publicly admitted.

Therefore, I wouldn't believe too much of the story behind Facebook, but I have to say that I like the message that the movie conveys: Entrepreneurship and creativity are the drivers of social and economic change. I left the cinema hungry for success, knowing that I wanna definitely want to start my own business. Eduardo Saverin put that message very well in a guest post he wrote for CNBC. If you're even remotely interested in entrepreneurship - do check it out here

Speaking of Eduardo Saverin, kudos to Andrew Garfield who definitely tops my list of actors to watch in 2011. I can't wait to see him in the new Spiderman, and more importantly, Never Let Me Go. By the way, the latter movie has a trailer that I have seen about ten times, it is so beautiful and frightening at the same time - can't wait!

Back to The Social Network, though. Aaron Sorkin and David Fincher have done a great job in terms of writing and directing, but the real winner to me is the soundtrack by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross. Dark and ominous, melancholic at times - perfect companion for a late night session at the computer. Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment